Friday, November 28, 2008

staying afloat

I have been incredibly busy these past few days.

First, there was the move. What can I say other than I'm still swimming amidst boxes and all kinds of belongings that do not have a new place to call home yet. I guess organizing takes time. The painting had to come to a halt. Only 3 rooms were painted. The living-dining room and the bubble gum pink bedroom (the latter room took 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of latex paint to cover). The seafoam green kitchen with fruity tiles and the hockey-themed basement will have to wait until the summer to undergo changes. There's no way I want to be smelling paint fumes and chemicals while I sleep at night.

Then there is my night school course that is wrapping up and I am still plugging away at a ten page assignment. It's due on December 8th. The great thing is that my research topic is on the science of scent and I'm really enjoying the research part but not the essay writing part.

And lastly, there is the part-time job that I just recently got which involves computer-based training that I have to undergo before I can officially begin my position. The training has started but I am no where near completion. The training has to be completed by the end of December. I am hoping to complete the training sooner so I can start working.

Other than that I am doing okay. I still haven't found the time to get my flu shot. God help me if I get the flu now!!

The Christmas holidays are fast approaching and I have barely made a dent in my gifts list. I'm avoiding shopping malls at all costs. I did make a few purchases on-line which has helped me tremendously. Hurray for the internet and Etsy!

Well, I should get back to my research paper. I hope to return with better, more exciting and less hectic news in a week from now.

Have a warm and safe weekend.

7 comments:

Laurie Constantino said...

It makes my head spin to read about all you have on your plate. And you're finally moving into your new house!!! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you are in your new house for the holidays, it will never be perfect, so enjoy every step. You've got a LOT going on, so don't forget to breathe and drink lots of fluids!!!!! That includes wine :)

kickpleat said...

sounds like craziness all around! be sure to take some time out for yourself too! it must feel so good to be in your own house.

Joanne said...

laurie: Yes, my head is spinning too and it will be spinning more in January as I'm considering taking on a month long contract job along with my existing part-time job. Maybe even an evening course on computer assisted drafting thrown in for good measure.

kalliope: I will certainly stop and replenish lost fluids, just like you have suggested with copious amounts of fruity, white wine, a chunk of good kaseri cheese, some briny olives, and a big, whopping mortgage :D I don't think we'll be hosting any Christmas parties at the house this year.

kickpleat: Owning a house is both an exciting time and an anxiety-inducing time. There is so much work that needs to be done in order to make this house my home. There are times where I will stop myself and realize that hey, this place is mine. And on other occasions, I can't help but think what the hell was I thinking? This house is a money pit!! No more expensive shoes for me LOL!

cserdan said...

why have I known this horrible feeling before? everything possible always seems to get crammed into december.

stay focused. do one thing at a time. check them off the list (a new check always makes me feel better).

house stuff can always wait!

good luck!

cserdan said...

ps: neither I nor my kids have had the time to get our flu shot yet.

last spring I caught viral pneumnonia (from the flu) and I swore I would make the flu shot a priority this time. sigh....

Joanne said...

cserdan: You are right! December always seems to be such a busy anxiety-induced month for me. Perhaps that is why I'm not a huge fan of the Christmas holiday season. If I could afford it, I would go away for a 2 week vacation just to avoid all the holiday madness.

Viral pneumonia sounds serious! I've added the flu shot to my list of things to get done. Thanks for the tip on creating a checklist. I Hope you do the same ;)